the universe and I

Thursday, June 23, 2016

Did you write something yet?

I play dodge with anyone who flings this water-balloon at me, including myself. Usually, I sit in-front of my machine, write a couple of sentences, get distracted/overwhelmed and my focus shifts onto something else - a trip to the kitchen, a new tab on my browser for music, another new tab on my browser to read something to accompany the music, a bathroom trip - just about anything. To be fair, I am writing more in my journal (not as much as I would like to, yet - but more than before) and my brain and fingers' protest-screams are getting more feeble with every visit

We were at a grocery store this one time and a sign saying that eye-pencils were on sale stared at my face. [Stores offer as much help as one needs in making impulsive decisions and keeping you in the premises for as long as possible - so grocery stores also sell clothes and makeup; clothing stores also sell furniture, and house-hold goods stores also sell grocery (the world is round, after all.)]

So, this 'blackest-black' pencil looked at me like an unhappy puppy desiring my attention, and I puppy-eyed Evan in return. His reaction was that of disbelief ("You want a fourth one?!" "umm, I don't have a black one for when I am not wearing blue, green or brown!") and laughed at me in the same decibel I use on him when we are in the ice-cream aisle. He was still laughing when he said that I was "So (oo) vain!".

(gulp!)

His observation was made on a very light note, meant to be forgotten after an affected reaction of hurt; but the anion of its truth stayed with me and much later led me down the spiral corridors of my mind's catacombs.

Among all the things I take pride in, not being narcissistic is one of them (!) Rigorous convent-schooling has embossed the idea that any emotion greater-than-or-equal-to self-love is inappropriate. As a consequence, more often than not, I find myself trapped in the region of less-than-or-equal-to self-acceptance. ugh.

On occasions that I get a glimpse of my vanity in life's rear view mirror, it shames and disturbs me so much that I have to go into hiding to unravel and re-crochet my disoriented mind-space. The otherwise suspended, mostly harmless fat-drops of conceit coalesce into a colossal cannibal who devours me in one giant gulp and I find myself staring in disbelief at the Tetris pieces that just won't line-up.

I am not quite sure of the point I am trying to make. Perhaps what I am getting at is how everybody is made of good pieces and the less-than flattering bits. So, maybe the narration here should include the not-so-stellar aspects too. That would be far more ground-level than the everyday circus on social media -- proclamations of being the best and the demand for validation. Our fragile sense of self-worth has become so naked under these floodlights. ["All the world's a stage..."]

We'll see what's next.



4 comments:

  1. Shalini - you are truly one of the most "un-vain" people I know, so please do not get confused about this moment of interest in "decoration." It reflects a love of color, a longing for cohesiveness in your accessorizing, and your culture as well. The very fact that you reflected on it, so wonderfully in fact, validates the very fact that you are NOT vain.

    I don't usually read blogs, but really enjoyed this one :) Love Jan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for sharing your thoughts, Jan. I think my concern is the fuzzy spaces between self-awareness, self-acceptance, self-love and everything beyond. My education and upbringing has trained me for certain filters to discern between the necessary and superfluous, which continue to evolve as I do. :)

      Delete
  2. Shalini, When I read your words I visualize colorful flowers. You are an amazing writer. I agree with Jan that you are the most "un-vain" person I know. Wanting to look good or feel good is a gift to you, from you. And it's a way of letting you know that your sense of self-worth is intact. We all look for acceptance from others. While that is something we all strive for, the reality is that we only need to accept ourselves. Beauty on the inside comes through to the outside.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Rickie, it thrills me when I can paint pictures for someone with my words. Thank you for sharing your insights, I corroborate your thoughts on the subject. And you say it so well. :)

      Delete

As Swadha turns five.

My Swadha has completed five whole revolutions around the sun - she is now a five-year old girl. I wear my motherhood with confidence and pr...