the universe and I

Wednesday, June 3, 2020

Swadha is two today!

Have you read this very short story?

A long time ago, in a small village there was a place called the house of thousand mirrors. 
A curious little puppy decided to visit and see it for himself. He peered in through the doorway to see a puppy staring back at him. He pushed the door open and walked in to find a thousand puppies looking his way curiously. 
He was absolutely ecstatic! His excited, happy barks and wagging tail were reciprocated in full measure by all other puppies. He left happier than he had come in. 
Another time, another puppy ventured into this house. He peered in through the door to see a dog looking at him cautiously. The puppy felt threatened and growled, ready to pounce in attack. To his dismay, he was faced with a thousand growling puppies ready to attack. He was petrified and quickly ran out the door promising himself never to return. 

Often, without consciously attempting it, I reflect on life to wrestle meanings out of seemingly obscure events, and I am increasingly convinced about the truth of this story : what you are is what you see in the world; what you see in the world is what you are.

So, the big question is what are you?

Today Swadha is two revolutions around the sun old. ("hapdayswadha" "hapdaybaby"). We were at a bookstore and someone had observed that for a parent the days are too long and the years too short. As I experience this for myself, I am hyperaware of needing to be a good example for her. ("Be what you want your baby to see in you")

I keep coming back to the big question. As I look for a good answer, I ripple into more questions.

Well.

I wish for her to continue to be forthright and brave, poetic and affectionate, musical and curious. I wish for her to teach me to be all those things as effortlessly as she is.

Thank you, little one.










No comments:

Post a Comment

As Swadha turns five.

My Swadha has completed five whole revolutions around the sun - she is now a five-year old girl. I wear my motherhood with confidence and pr...