the universe and I

Wednesday, January 20, 2010

endorphines

A friend told me that most of my posts freak him out about how mentally imbalanced I can sound with my thoughts coming from depths deeper than the Challenger Deep in the Mariana Trench of the Pacific Ocean. (This is not verbatim really, but I guess you get the idea). I must be crazy to be thrilled at such an observation. =) So the yellow me is writing today!

Everytime I chance at a happy interaction that gets added to my "People are unbelievably nice to me (I wonder why)" list, I relive moments that are already on that list, and my faith in all the good that dwells in the heart of people becomes good as new again. The faith has always been (I am convent educated), but moves into the corners of my mind if I don't keep a tab on it. So I wanted to list them out for me.

This one time, when I was in the 11th grade and struggling with the 'what next' questions about my career, I was walking to my tutorial classes for Chemistry ( I still don't understand organic chemistry) and I had to go cross a very busy street to get there.

The Indian Democracy has made it a free for all. On the roads (as almost everywhere else) you can pretty much do as you please. As a driver, its totally up to you if you want to wait for pedestrians to get across a road or you want to scare them out of their wits by not slowing down at all. Not that the pedestrians feel the need to use a crossing even if they see one; its always the shortest distance across to get to the other side, irrespective of the volume of traffic. *This is only my humble opinion.* (I would like to see someone trying this in firang-land).

Coming back to what I was saying, there was this busy road that I needed to cross to reach my destination, and quite unlike anyone around me, I was waiting for the traffic to lighten before I attempted it. A white maruti car stopped (it took me a while to comprehend that someone behind the wheels had actually stopped to let me go). I did, and when I was on the other side of the road, I turned around to thank him. He was still there (many people had jumped at the chance of safely crossing that road). I thanked him with a little smile, and he smiled and nodded back.

I don't remember the face of this man, but I remember exactly the smile he returned. It was a smiled smile.

That was a moment of euphoria right there. It was like the colors of the universe had washed themselves afresh. A bag of endorphines had burst itself free in my head and I was at peace with my existence again. For a while.

That is a lot of word to use for such a small incident. But, I could write more about it!

No comments:

Post a Comment

As Swadha turns five.

My Swadha has completed five whole revolutions around the sun - she is now a five-year old girl. I wear my motherhood with confidence and pr...